Founded in 1973 with the simple act of a mother publicly supporting her gay son, PFLAG is the nation’s largest family and ally organization.
Uniting people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) with families, friends, and allies, PFLAG is committed to advancing equality through its mission of support, education, and advocacy. The Benton Franklin Chapter is just one of 400 PFLAG chapters in major urban centers, small cities, and rural areas in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. This vast grassroots network is cultivated, resourced, and serviced by PFLAG National, located in Washington, D.C.
PFLAG envisions a world where diversity is celebrated and all people are respected, valued, and affirmed of their sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
By meeting people where they are and collaborating with others, PFLAG realizes its vision through:
- Support for families, allies and people who are LGBTQIA2+
- Education for ourselves and others about the unique issues and challenges facing people who are LGBTQIA2+
- Advocacy in our communities to change attitudes and create policies and laws that achieve full equality for people who are LGBTQIA2+
PFLAG Benton Franklin is the local chapter in the Richland, Pasco, Kennewick area of Washington also referred to as the Tri-Cities. Our chapter received it’s 501(c)(3) status in May 1994. Since then there have been many changes in our area and much progress made.
In January 2011, a revitalization took place after the chapter went dormant for a while. Since then, we’ve initiated a variety of community programs, including meetups and support groups, advocated for students’ rights to have GSA’s in local schools, hosted various LGBTQ+ panels, as well as educational events and trainings geared toward suicide prevention and anti-bullying.
We are comprised of all volunteers; people who love serving our community and making a difference to the those in it. We are very thankful to be a part of the wave of change happening.
Regardless of how you identify in terms of sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, PFLAG is here to support you and your family on your journey of discovery.
- PFLAG works with local schools to help make them safer for LGBTQIA2+ students
- We offer staff trainings to local companies & services by request
- We sponsor and table at local events, including Tri-Cities Pride Festival
- PFLAG provides peer-to-peer support services within your community
- Our website offers a wide variety of resources that provide support for those in need